Snoring and Sleep Apnea
As many of us know, snoring can alter the lives and sleep quality of many individuals. We usually think of the poor spouse who cannot sleep due to the noise associated with her loved one’s snoring. What many of don’t know is that the snoring is more often than not associated with poor oxygen flow to the person snoring. This condition is know as Obstructive Sleep Apnea or OSA. Apnea means a cessation of breathing. You are actually suffocating when this happens. As you know, oxygen is vital to our body and without it, even for short periods of time can cause serious consequences.
HERE ARE A FEW, NOT SO FUN, FACTS ABOUT OSA
- Untreated OSA can take 8-10 years off your life.
- Smoking shortens your life by 7-10 years.
- Type II Diabetes shortens your life by 5-10 years.
- OSA increases the risk of death by 46%.
- OSA has been closely linked to hypertension, diabetes, and the latest research shows it is now linked to cancer.
We at Hill Family Dental have received extensive training in the diagnosing and treating snoring and OSA with a simple dental device that is much less invasive than a CPAP machine. We are happy to offer this option to our patients and any others who may have sleep related breathing disorders.
If you or someone you know suffers from any of the following symptoms, please call our office for a NO COST, NO PRESSURE, airway evaluation. This is something that can literally save and improve lives dramatically, so we do not want cost to stand in the way of your diagnosis.
- Gasping for air while sleeping
- High Blood Pressure
- Excessive daytime drowsiness
Please click on this link to get a quick and easy evaluation to see if you are at risk for OSA.