If you are considering dental implant placement, Dr. Jared Hill and our team are happy to help you achieve a better smile! We are pleased to help you know what to expect prior to, during and after a dental implant procedure.
First of all, it’s important to know that receiving dental implants is a multi-step process that can’t be completed all at once and may require a few weeks or months. But why can’t a dentist place your dental implants in a single day? If he or she did, your dental implants would not have the high success rate that they can provide. The process can require a long time span so that we can prepare your mouth and jawbone to support your implants for the long term. We need to ensure you are viable for a dental implant as well as check for sufficient bone density prior to performing the procedure.
If it is revealed that your jawbone does not have the density for implants, we may recommend a bone grafting procedure to make your jaw bone stronger. This is because a soft jaw bone can’t keep implants supported for a long time, and we may need to graft some bone from another area of the body to build density. This process can take a few days to several months, depending on how much bone mass is needed.
We will provide instructions on how to care for your oral health in the days prior to your dental implant placement to optimize the outcome of the process. The instructions we provide may include guidelines such as:
– Eat a breakfast of healthy foods on the day of your procedure. Though, if you will be put under sedation, you may be told not eat food the night before and day of (general rules say to stop eating by midnight the night before treatment).
– We may recommend a special mouthwash with antibacterial properties to prepare your mouth.
– Make sure you have a ride home arranged for after the procedure.
– Keep your gums and teeth in good shape with proper oral care before treatment.
After you’ve received a dental implant, you will notice the improvements not only cosmetically but the natural feel and use of the tooth as well. Other benefits you may not realize include the following:
– Because dental implants are made of titanium, they integrate with the jaw bone (biocompatibility) and will not be rejected by the body, resulting in a lifespan that lasts a lifetime.
– When missing a tooth, you are more susceptible to periodontal problems (gum disease) since the open space can lay way for bacteria and infections to erupt. These infections can eventually lead to diabetes, heart disease, stroke, pneumonia, and other tooth loss.
– Tooth loss can ultimately result in premature aging and sagging in the facial area.
– They help prevent bone loss. When the jaw bone lacks stimulation, the bone starts to deteriorate, especially within the first year of tooth loss. And if you use dentures, they can rub against the edge of your bone and gum tissue, wearing it down as well.
With the many benefits of dental implants, it’s no wonder many dentist turn to this solution for those who have experienced tooth loss. To learn more about receiving dental implants or to schedule a consultation, contact Hill Family Dental at 801-225-7110 today. Our team in Orem, Utah, will be happy to assist you with any of your dental needs today!